Unfortunately, having to quarantine or isolate due to contracting COVID or being a close contact of someone with COVID is a part of our current reality. We want to ensure while you are out you have an opportunity to enroll in our short-term independent study program, which aims to help you stay on track with your studies and assignments while you are out. Short-Term Independent Study is voluntary, so please read the FAQ below, and if interested in applying, please access the application via the link at the bottom of this page.
Short Term Independent Study for Quarantined Students - FAQ
What are the Benefits of Participating in Short Term Independent Study?
- Supports students in staying on track with instruction and assignments while on an extended absence.
- Provides continuity of learning when a student has a COVID-related absence.
- Allows HBUHSD to continue to generate revenue while supporting our students. (Part of CA Assembly Bill 167 - passed September 2021)
What are the Guidelines for Students Who Sign Up For Short Term Independent Study?
- A Short Term Independent Study Master Agreement form will be sent to parent/guardian for signature and returned to the AP of Guidance
- Student should contact their teachers via email to let them know of the return date and work with teachers to obtain any necessary assignments.
- Student should make sure each teacher provides written and/or electronic assignments. Teachers will fill out Short Term Independent Study form, listing all assignments to be completed during quarantine
- Student should notify the administration office if a teacher fails to give an assignment.
- Student should communicate with their teachers about any confusion or support the student may need.
What If I Don't Sign Up For Short Term Independent Study?
- Short Term Independent Study is voluntary. No student shall be required to participate in Independent Study although it is highly encouraged.
- If you don’t sign up for Short Term Independent Study you will still work with your teachers to keep up with your assignments while you are out. Please contact your teachers via email to let them know of the return date and work with them to obtain any necessary assignments.
Please note: This is only for students who are being asked to isolate or quarantine due to COVID.
If you are interested in applying for Short Term Independent Study, please access the application via this link. Please return your completed and signed application to the Guidance Department. You can bring it to the MHS front office, or scan and email it to [email protected]
Click here for the Short Term Independent Study Application