Marina High School Home of the Vikings

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
Please Create A Marquee
College & Career » Community College

Community College



The California Community College System is the largest system of higher education in the world with 110 campuses. Community colleges offer a smooth transition to a four-year institution.

For many students, the community college offers a quality lower-division academic or vocational college education at value prices.   
Programs include:
  • Associate degree programs in arts and sciences
  • Certificate programs in arts, sciences, technical, and occupational fields
  • Credit and non-credit classes
  • English training
  • Citizenship classes
  • Remedial or "catch-up" classes
  • Community education classes
For more information on the California Community Colleges, visit
          1. Apply for admission online
          2. Apply for financial aid at by March 2nd.
          3. Complete the online orientation.
          4.  Complete the student education plan


It is extremely important for students who are considering transferring to work closely with their community college counselors at the time of admission to discuss this goal. If you know the specific campus or major you want to target, you will be more successful in transferring courses. Students should balance their course load by taking both general education courses and lower division courses in their proposed major. In addition, many community colleges offer transfer guarantee programs for specific universities.
Refer to the college catalogue of the institution you wish to transfer to and check transfer requirements. Visit the web-based ASSIST student transfer information system for more information about the transfer process.
Admissions officers look at several factors, including:
  • Completed transferrable coursework.
  • A college GPA of 2.o (for CSU) or 2.4 (for UC). Some impacted majors and campuses may require a higher GPA.
  • Whether or not you are in "good standing" at your last college.
  • Some campuses also require you to complete certain English and math courses with a grade of ”C”or higher.